Monday 25 February 2008

When Friendship Is Found (this story has previously been published under a different title)

One afternoon, after school..

Tiara heard some called her name. Recognising the voice, she stopped walking and turned around. She smiled and greeted back, “Hi! What’s up? Looks like you’re in a big hurry?”

Denny tried to catch his breath, “No. Not really. I’ve just been trying to find you since morning. I want to borrow the new book you just bought, if you have finished reading it.”

Tiara sighed, “The way you were running.. it was like someone just got electrocuted! You scard me just now!”

Tiara stopped for a second before she continued, “About the book.. actually, I haven’t finished reading it yet, but shouldn’t be too long now. I’m sure you’ll like it. It’s fascinating! Once you start reading it, you won’t be able to stop”

Denny smiled and nodded. Then he looked at his watch, “Oh no! I have to go. I have an extra Math session. So, I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Tiara nodded, “Alright! I’m going home. See you tomorrow!”

At that, they waved and went their separate ways.

A few nights after that day..

After finishing her homework, Tiara sat on her bed and started writing in her diary about everything she did that day.

Diary,

Everybody seemed very nice today and there wasn’t any homework to submit or exam to sit today. So I was very happy at school. But Diary, something has been bothering me lately.. Denny’s presence has brought confusion to me.

Diary,

We have been close friends for almost three years. He always tells me everything and so do I. But I never feel like I’m his best friend. We never talk about our friendship. I’m confused, Diary.. What kind of friendship are we really in? What kind of friendship is it?

Tiara closed her diary and went to sleep, but her mind was still full with questions.

A week later, at school..

Denny dropped by Tiara’s classroom after school was over, at the same time Ira was about to leave her class.

Denny called out to Tiara, “Tiara! Wait a second!”

Tiara stopped walking. She looked at Denny and smiled, “Hi! Have you finished reading my book?”

Denny nodded, “Yes, I have, and it is in my right now. Why don’t you take it, and at the same time, I will show you my car. You haven’t seen it, have you?”

Tiara laughed, “No I haven’t seen your car. The truth is, I never actually think that you can ever have a car.”

Denny pretended to be angry, “Oh yeah! Well, then.. you should learn your lesson.. Never underestimate anyone!”

Tiara laughed again, “Hey! I’m just kidding. Don’t be angry!”

After taking her book from Denny’s car, Tiara looked for her car. Denny accompanied her. But after more than a few minutes search, they still couldn’t find that car, Tiara was sure that her car had left.

Tiara sighed, “Oh no.. I must’ve taken too long to get here! My sister must’ve thought that I was still busy at school. I’d better call her now, so that my driver can come back later to pick me up.”

Denny nodded with apologising look, “I’m really sorry, you were left behind because of me, but I’ll make it up to you. You call home and tell your driver that he doesn’t need to worry about picking you up today, because I’m driving you home!”

Tiara quickly looked at Denny. She was surprised at Denny’s suggestion to drive her home. Denny has been her best-friend for a long time, and until now, he never seemed to be bothered with things like driving a girl home or feeling sorry for a minor guilt.

However, since Tiara really wanted to go home, she decided to agree to Denny’s suggestion right away. After calling home, Tiara followed Denny to his car, where Denny quickly started the car.

In the journey to Tiara’s home, once again Denny surprised Tiara when he suddenly talked to her in a serious manner.

“I’ve been waiting for the right time to talk you about something that I believe you need to know.”

Tiara crossed her eyebrows in confusion, “If you want to tell me something, say it clearly! You’re giving me a headache!”

“Actually, I’m not sure where to start, so just bear with me here!”

Tiara just nodded.

“I’m not sure if there is anything wrong, but I feel that you are not like usual. Ever since Rosa dropped by my classroom every so often, you have completely stopped coming to my classroom. I don’t think you’re jealous, because you still talk to me and you still talk to her.”

Tiara shook her shoulders, “I am not jealous..”

Denny took a deep breath, “I realise that, and that’s why I need to talk to you.”

“What about?”

“First, I want to apologise for all the time that I was being selfish. You’ve put up with me a lot all this time. I didn’t realise it before, but I do now.”

Tiara shook her head, “You are my best friend, Denny! I take you the way you are.”

Denny sighed and smiled, “Thanks, and that would lead to the second thing I need to tell you. As much as you think of me as your best-friend, I also think of you as mine. I don’t want you to run away again if something is really happening between Rosa and me.”

Tiara looked down. Denny never knew why she decided to stay away from him last year. Tiara never wanted to do that, but Siska, Denny’s girlfriend at that time, made it very clear to Tiara that she didn’t want any other girl to get ‘too close’ to Denny, except herself, and that she wanted Tiara not to mention anything to Denny.

Siska and Denny finally broke up after having a long-term ‘disagreement’, but Tiara still kept her promise to Siska. Partly because it was a promise, and partly because after they broke up, Tiara always thought that bringing it up wouldn’t change anything.

This time, Rosa turned up in Denny’s life, and although Rosa never said anything to Tiara, Tiara felt self-concious.being friends with him.

Denny tried to catch a glimpse of Tiara’s expression to understand what she is feeling, “You backed away last year when I got close to Siska, and now, it looks like you’re doing the same thing. Am I right or am I imagining it? If I am right, I need to know why you’re doing this?”

Tiara didn’t say anything, so Denny kept talking, “If all this time you have been waiting for me to say it to you, then here it is.. We always tell each other everything, and I thought it was enough proof that we are good friends, but if it is not enough for you, then I’ll say it.. You are my good friend, Tiara! My best friend! One day we will have our own lives and go our separate ways, but even when that time comes, I’d like us to still be friends! .. And I can’t believe I’m talking like this right now!”

Tiara looked really surprised, quickly she spoke, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to confuse you. I’m glad that you finally said it. I couldn’t start talking about it with you.”

Denny shook his head, “I should’ve done it earlier.. but..”

Tiara jumped in, “.. You’re the kind of person who doesn’t like to discuss things about your feelings. That’s why I tried not to discuss this kind of thing to you either. But, knowing you very well, I can’t help asking, is there someone who talked you into talking to me today?”

Denny shook his head again, “Noone really. But Rosa says that she thinks it is odd that you always leave everytime she is around me, when, at the same time, I always tell her that you are my best friend. That got me thinking!”

Tiara gave a little smile.

Denny looked puzzled, “What are you thinking? What’s wrong? What is actually happening?”

Tiara gave a long sigh. She finally managed to pull her courage, “There is no girl who likes seeing her boyfriend being close to anyone else but herself. That is why I always leave.”

Denny looked at Tiara for a split second, “Those WERE Siska’s word, exactly! So, SHE told you to back off last year?”

Tiara fell silent, not being able to reply.

Denny continued, “Rosa is not Siska! And she is nothing like Siska. I made a mistake before, I’m sorry I didn’t realise that you were the one ended up in a hard spot. But this time, it is different. Rosa actually asks about you. So, please, Tiara..”

Tiara gave out a relieve sigh, “I don’t know what to say, Denny. I guess I have to apologise to you too. I’ve been too self-centred most of the time, and asking myself what kind of friendship is this?! Now I realise that it must take extra energy for you to talk like this to me. So, thank you.”

Denny smiled and nodded, then spoke again, “Good if it is settled. One less problem for me.”

Tiara asked back, “What are your other problems?”

Denny sighed, “Just ONE other problem. I’m not sure what to do. I like Rosa and I know she likes me too. I’m even sure that she is waiting for me to ask her out. But, I’m not sure whether I should be going out with a girl again or not. Everytime I think about Siska, I feel like I’m not sure if I can ever understand a girl.”

Tiara laughed cheerfully for a few seconds, then she looked at Denny straight in his eyes, “I think you should give Rosa a try. She is a nice girl. ..You really need to get over Siska!”

Denny took a long deep breath, “I think you’re right! ..But, wait a second!! Who are you?? My mother???”

Tiara pretended to be disappointed, “You asked for my opinion!”

Denny smiled, “Thanks. I mean it.”

Tiara sighed and said jokingly, “So, this is the first time and the last time you are going to drive me home in your car?”

Denny grinned, “That’s the general idea.. No! Sorry, I’m kidding! Rosa’s house is further than yours. So, we can get you home first after school. ..Or.. we can just find you a boyfriend! Hmm, how about Gilang.. the guy you constantly eyeing?!”

Tiara closed her mouth tightly, as she can feel her cheeks reddened.

A moment later, Tiara can hear Denny’s laughter, while she is turning up the music volume..

No comments:

Orcalion's Bookshop List