Thursday 5 March 2009

Sweet Seventeen, Tiger!

What is he doing? Why is he hiding behind the tall bushes.. with his 'sidekick'?! Are they planning to make a joke on me? Let's see if I can make a joke out them first..

I casually left the grass I was sitting on and make a walk to the other side of the bushes. Silly of them, they did not realise what was happening at all. The cat fight between the two self-crowned queens, Rika and Mayang, must have distracted their focus.

"Why are you standing behind me?" I asked loudly as soon as I was standing right behind the school's two clowns, Ray and Tom.

Both guys jumped to my voice. Ray was quicker to respond, "Vega! We weren't.. I wasn't.. well.. it wasn't.."

I nodded several times pretending to be waiting for him to explain himself, which I really wasn't. I was just enjoying watching his panicked expression.

I turned to Tom, ".. and You?!"

Tom started to look back at me with confused eyes, not being able to find the answer fast enough, his mouth was opened, but nothing came out of it.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. I really didn't intend to scare them. I always liked to see Ray's expressions every time he made jokes, or someone was actually successful enough to pull a trick on him.

We weren't really best friends or anything, well.. I never tried to be best friends with anyone, really..

I think every student in this school thinks I'm a freak.. a tough girl.. the lead vocalist of a rock band who spends weekends singing in places where ever her band gets invited to play and get paid for staying on stage for a few hours.

Some of the girls have seen me in a couple of our regular places, and I was always in my stage outfit, strands of my hair highlighted red or dark purple and my make up was shades of dark colours. At first I would wave and say 'hi', but after a few times getting forced smiles, I decided they would prefer not to be noticed by me. So, I started to not noticing..

But in Ray's case, it was somehow different. It was as if he was just every where, all the time..

I knew that I had to do something, right there and then.. before I lost the moment..

I gave a quick wave to Tom, telling him to go away. Then I turned to Ray, not absolutely sure what I was going to say to him.

I looked at him to reassure myself that I really wanted to do this.

Ray looked back at me with a puzzled look, "What? You got us! Now what?"

I shrugged. I seriously did not know what I was doing. I did not even understand why I wanted him to stay there.

Ray looked much calmer than a couple of moments ago when I startled him.

"I just wanted to know why you were standing behind me. You did the same last week too. I thought you were planning a trick on me, but you never took this much time planning tricks on other people."

Ray suddenly looked down to the grass and started kicking some grass with his right foot. I noticed that when he looked up to look at me, he looked worried.

"What is it? Did you hear anything about me and started an investigation?"

Ray shook his head slowly, "No."

Then, it was my time to be puzzled, "So, what is it then?"

"I was not planning a trick on you. That's the truth."

I nodded and smiled, "I guess I knew that."

Ray looked at me again, "Then, why did you jump on us, and told Tom to go while keeping me here?"

Ah.. I understand now.. Ray is cute - I think - although most girls think of him only as a clown.

I liked him. I did't feel like a tough girl when talking to him like that.

"I think I like you, Ray.."

Ray looked at me with both eyes wide opened, "What?? Are you serious?"

I nodded, "I am not playing a trick on you. Serious."

Ray suddenly looked nervous, "Well.. that was the same reason I was standing behind you."

I could feel my cheeks blushed.

Ray looked at me, "You are not going to be angry, are you?"

I smiled widely, forgetting to answer his question. Then, I suddenly remembered, "It's true what the kids are saying.. I play with my bands with strange outfit, make up and hairdo."

Unexpectedly Ray laughed, "I know. I saw you last Friday. I was having dinner with my parents. They think you have strong voice, and I agree with them."

My mouth feel open, "Whatt?? How could I not see you? Did you tell your parents who I was?"

Ray grinned and nodded, "I told them that you were in the same class with me and that I liked you."

I stared at him in shock. No way I would've done what he did, if I were him! Telling his parents that he liked me.. when I was dressed for stage? But I was curious of his parents' reaction.

"What did they say?"

He grinned again, "They said you were energetic, expressive and cute, like a tiger cub. Well.. we are going there again tonight. It's Friday today, and your band will be there again tonight, right?"

I slowly nodded. I couldn't feel my joints. Tonight was still hours away, and I was already panicking..

Ray waved his hand to calm me, "It will be alright. You were great, you know!"

I could only look at him feeling helpless..

I jumped when the end of recess bell rang.

Ray started walking, "Let's walk back."

Suddenly, I felt the need to clarify something with him, "Ray, wait!"

He turned around and looked at me, "Yes.."

"Were you going to ask me out, or did you only want to tell me that you were standing behind me because you liked me?"

Ray gave me a kind smile with sparkles in his eyes, "I was under the impression that we agreed to be going out already.. am I wrong?"

I could feel that I was blushing again.


-------------------------------------


As usual, on Friday nights the cafe was full. People just wanted to relax after a full week of work. Our style of rock is nice enough to entertain tired minds.

I sat in the performers' waiting area with a glass of water on the table in front of me. Dion, the drummer tapped my hair with his drum sticks, "You're not sick, are you?"

I shook my head, "Nope. I'm just getting ready for public humiliation and losing job, if I mess up our performance tonight."

Rudy, the guitarist and Alan, the bassist, looked at me in surprise at the same time, "What's wrong?"

I shrugged, "Ray asked me out this afternoon at school. He is now sitting with his parents for our performace. They were here last Friday and they liked me."

Dion, Rudy and Alan looked at around at one another, then they looked at me, "So.. what's the problem? You should be happy, not mournful.." Rudy asked me.

"I'm nervous! That's the problem!" I looked at them one by one with truly nervous feel in my heart.

The three of them quickly patted my shoulders.

Dion nodded in confidence, "You'll be fine!"

Rudy added quickly, "And be the star, as always.."

Alan, the quietest finally spoke, "You will feel different, as soon as you step on the stage. You will OWN the stage and the audience."

I took a deep breath.

At the same time, the cafe's keyboardist, who had pretty much become a part of our band, came into the room and announced that the stage was ready, "OK, guys, let's start the night!"

As soon as I stepped on the stage, one of the waitresses handed me a piece of song request paper. I held it as I greeted the cafe's guests.

Then, I looked at the piece of paper and read it, "You'll be great, Tiger! And.. Sweet Seventeen for tomorrow!"

Rudy quickly took the piece of paper from my hand and whispered my favourite song to the others, who nodded in agreement.

Then, Rudy walked to my microphone, "Ladies and Gentlemen, let us open the night with Vega's favourite song for her birthday tomorrow, as requested by, Ray, the boy of her dream who is sitting up there with his parents. I'm sure the song is one of your favourites too.. Ladies and Gentlemen.. Eye of A Tiger.."

I bowed once to the audience and then once again to Ray and his parents. They smiled and waved at me.

Alan was right. I felt different right at the time I stepped on the stage.

This stage is my world and I belong here. Singing flawlessly happens naturally on this stage.

Mum and Dad can be on business travels as often as they want.. I know that they love me, they just cannot change they way they live their lives..

I don't have to worry now, though. For the time I'm not at home or school, and not playing with my band.. Because now I have Ray to be with me..

-06 March 2009-

No comments:

Orcalion's Bookshop List